What is boho style in home décor?
“Take your time in making your home your haven. Your soul deserves it!”
We’re not quite sure whose quote this is but we couldn’t have said it any better. It beautifully sums up what boho style home décor is all about: creating that space that is comfortable, uniquely you, and wraps itself around you like a warm blanket. Soup for the soul.
Boho chic has been around for quite some time, perhaps more so in fashion clothing. But in interior design, it’s seen a real resurgence globally as one of the hottest trends. This means there are some awesome new ideas and products out there that don’t cost the earth and will let you create your own boho oasis with ease.
What is boho style in home décor?
It all started In Paris and long before everyone was trying to copy Sienna Miller’s effortless boho fashion sense! Bohemian style interior design was inspired by an arts scene that put creativity before money. It was a coming together of painters, writers, nomadic artists, and performers whose sense of savoir vivre and a refusal to conform to the accepted rules and beauty standards created an interior design trend that is full of warm colours, often quirky, always light and bright, and inspired by travel. But most important of all, it’s a carefree, thrown together-style, without strict norms, structures, and pretensions. It is whatever you make it.
Modern day boho interiors tend to look and feel warm and sumptuous, and charmingly haphazard. They are a happy mix and mingle of patterns, colours, textures, and natural materials. All chosen for comfort and interest. Select your pieces to tell a story and feed your soul, not to impress.
Add vintage and travel inspired furnishings and mementos; natural materials such as rattan, macramé wall hangings and throws, cushions, and ottomans. You can happily throw in a couple of tassels here and there, mix ethnic patterns with florals, and neutral, muted tones with brighter colours. Add to that the hottest new look in interior design: beautifully dried grasses and flowers, and you’ll have your very own boho haven.
Why boho home décor?
We believe a home should always reflect its occupants, their lifestyle, likes and dislikes. Of course, tastes and budgets differ. Some of us like our spaces uncluttered and clean, others like to add the latest gadgets and technologies to their home. Others yet just need practical solutions that allow for busy family life to run smoothly. And did we mention the ‘new normal’ of home office and remote work? Whatever your taste and need, if the last few months have taught us anything, it is to make sure we are comfortable in our own four walls! Spending a long time cooped up in a place that is cosy, brings nature and natural beauty inside, and is just the way we like it, surely beats the alternative. And since international travel still seems to be a pretty distant light at the end of quite a long tunnel, why not bring travel home and surround yourself with happy memories. Or, even better, set the scene and mood so you’ll be ready for your next adventures. Boho interiors can be all that and more.
Boho style trend ideas
You can be a ‘boholite’ just the way you like it. Whether you choose pieces reminiscent of Moroccan desert tents with rich tapestry, patterns and colours, delicate lanterns and low tables; or pieces that complement a western boho style with more neutral tones, tribal rugs and prints, and leather and wood accents: There’s no right or wrong when it comes to boho!
Play around with ideas, accents, and styles. Mix it up, shake it up, and see what sticks. Try:
- Prints: When was the last time you looked at your old photos? Do you have travel pictures that are just languishing on your laptop somewhere? Choose a couple of your favourites, enlarge them, play with the colour scheme, highlight a detail, turn your favourites into beautiful large prints.
- Check out second-hand sites. Make a day of it and rummage through your local flea markets or pre-loved furniture shops. Who knows what vintage treasures you might unearth there!
- Get creative with fabric. Did you manage to stuff a small carpet or a colourful ethnic throw into your holiday luggage? Or maybe you got a dress with rich tribal patterns on your last trip you no longer wear? You can never have too many cushions or wall hangings! Just saying…
- Our favourite though remains the amazing variety of dried grasses and flowers that are on every interior designer’s top list this year. Do you want to spruce up your space and give it a natural and timeless touch? Something that effortlessly complements your interior or provides a stunning focal point and will not wilt away in a week? Check out the amazing boho range we’ve created below.
|Misty Boho||Gypsy Luxe|
|Bohemian Queen||Daisy Daydream|
Of course, in true boho fashion, you don’t have to stick with a ready-made dried flower bouquet! You decide the look, feel and size and we will prepare a custom made arrangement for you. Or, you can take it even one step further and get one of our flower kits and create your own.
Image source: Unsplash
Add an extra touch of bohemian chic to your wedding
It’s one of our absolute fave trends this year: beautifully crafted, dried wedding flower arrangements, posies and bridal bouquets - perfectly dreamy boho chic for your big day! Best of all, professionally preserved flower arrangements will last a very long time and can come home with you, bring you joy, and remind you of your special moments. Apart from the sentimental value there are a few practical reasons that dried (and dyed) wedding flowers are such a big hit:
- You can prepare them well ahead of the big day, they won’t wilt.
- Really bring your vision to life. Think a very boho muted colour palette, dried roses, creamy whites, whimsical Baby’s Breath, different textures, with added pops of colours, or gum leaves for contrast. Whether it’s bridesmaid posies, floral table arrangements or a whole concept for your wedding, dried flowers and grasses give you all the options when it comes to colours, size, look and feel.
- Don’t throw the bridal bouquet! Find a spot for it back home, it’ll fit in snugly into your boho haven. Have a look at the beautifully crafted arrangements here - we’re sure they’ll not only look gorgeous on the wedding day but also at home!
Boho is such an individual, creative home décor style. Perhaps because there really isn't any boundaries, and there are an abundance of imaginative ideas out there. For all your boho style inspo, Instagram and Pinterest are flooded with photos of some beautifully decorated home settings. We also found the ZocoHome summary of global 2021 home decor trends a good read. Furthermore, the RenoGuide had some exceptional ideas for Australian bohemian style.
But of course, the best way to complete your stunning bohemian look is with our boho style collection. We’ve created these bouquets in a lovely muted colour palette complemented by variety of shapes and textures to bring a touch of boho beauty to your home.
We’d also love to see ‘what you’ve done with the place’! Tag us in your boho interior transformation's on Instagram. We’d love to hear from you!